Self Introduction Letter

 Dear Professor Brad,


My name is Low Zhen Xuan, and I am a year 1 sustainable infrastructure engineering student in your effective communication class. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in environmental and water technology. I developed an interest in engineering when I was doing my internship during my polytechnic where I had opportunity to learn about Green Mark Certification for buildings in Singapore. Therefore I decided to find out more about it by pursuing a degree in sustainable infrastructure engineering.

My hobby is playing online games when I have free time or when I am stressed. I view it as a platform for me to relief stress and temporarily escape from reality. I feel that is what differentiate me from others as I am very sociable online and have organized virtual get-togethers with friends that I have met online. These friend have shared a lot about responsibilities and commitments to fulfill.

I feel that I am more confident in speaking in smaller groups during presentation as there is lesser people and I get to better engage with the audience. However due to my poor language use, I find it difficult to present my ideas to the audience through writing or presentation. I also tend to lose focus on what I am trying to communicate.

My goals for the module include seeing an improvement in my speaking and writing skills as it will help me boost my self-confidence and be better prepared in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to read my self-introduction letter. I hope you find this useful to understand me better.

Yours sincerely,

Low Zhen Xuan

(Revised 2)

Commented on 

Wen Qiang

Qian Zi

Houston





Comments

  1. Thanks much for writing and posting your letter already, Zhen Xuan. I'll give more comments once your blogging buddies have commented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Zhen Xuan,

    I enjoyed reading your introductory letter and I feel like I know you better now. It is interesting to know what you have learned during your internship. I was amazed by some of the details you wrote in your letter, especially the virtual meeting with your friends, it was so cool!

    I have the same problem as you that we feel more comfortable speaking in front of a smaller group. Not to worry, we are here to help one another!

    Cheers,
    WenQiang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear WenQiang,

      Thank you for your honest feedback and glad you enjoy reading my letter. hope to work with you soon.

      Your sincerely,

      Zhen Xuan

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Zhen Xuan,

    Thank you for this detailed letter. I appreciate learning about your fascination with gaming and how that interest has actually been useful for your interpersonal development. In fact, you document your communication strength and weakness very well by connecting your hobby with communication opportunities.

    The main issue in this post is language use, in particular, subject-verb disagreement, verb tense, and comma splice/sentence structure. Let's review each of these.

    1. comma splice
    -- My name is Low Zhen Xuan, I am a year 1 sustainable infrastructure engineering student in your effective communication class. >
    My name is Low Zhen Xuan, and I am a year 1 sustainable infrastructure engineering student in your effective communication class. OR
    My name is Low Zhen Xuan. I am a year 1 sustainable infrastructure engineering student in your effective communication class.
    -- ...when I was doing my internship in polytechnic where I learn about Green Mark Certification for building in Singapore hence I decided to find out more about it by pursuing a degree in sustainable infrastructure engineering. > (verb tense/comma splice) ?
    -- My hobby is playing online games, I like to play online games.... > ?
    -- I feel that this is what differentiate me from others as I am more sociable on online, I have organized virtual get together with the friends that I have met online. > ?

    2. subject-verb disagreement
    -- ...this is what differentiate me.... > ?
    -- ...that need to be fulfil. > ?
    -- My goals for the module is .... > ?

    3. verb forms
    -- They have share with me about their life....
    -- ...there is lesser people.... > (verb form and word form) ...there are fewer people...
    -- my poor grammar language > my poor language use,
    -- I tend to loses > ?

    4. puntuation in the salutation and the close?

    You're a future engineer, and this English language challenge should not stand in your way. As the old saying goes: It ain't rocket science.

    I look forward to working with you.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you reading my letter and letting me know the feedbacks. I have noted down the language error use in the letter and will amend accordingly.

      Yes as a future engineer, I will not be defeated by English language !

      Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Thinking: The Soul of Communication

Summary Reader Response Final Final